Welcome to my online diary about the struggles of dealing with rheumatoid arthritis. I write about about the highs and lows of day to day life in an honest way as possible. I hope to share my experiences with those in a similar position and help them to realise they are not alone. It is a unique postion to be in, to have a condition which most people associate with older people when you are just starting out in life. But together, as we discuss our experiences, we can feel less isolated and alone.

About Me

My photo
Leamington Spa, Uk, United Kingdom
I am 32 years old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The disease came on literally overnight five years ago when I was 27 years old. I was diagnosed with many different illnesses before it was labelled R.A. I am taking methotrexate, humira injections, steroids and painkillers. It's been the hardest 4 years of my life though things seem to have turned a corner and I have met a wonderfully supportive partner. For a long time I have tried to fight it and had many different therapies to treat it. I lost faith in the medical world after several misdiagnoses and inadequate treatment. I then chose to follow an alternative route and have tried reiki, spiritual healing, alexander technique, kinesiology and EFT as I believe there is an emotional and psychological element that plays a part in disease. All treatments have helped the RA though not cured it. I am currently on the Margaret Hills Clinic programme for treating arthritis and this has proved successful so far. I am trying to come to terms with the illness and deal with it rather than fight it. Follow my day to day trials and tribulations coping with the disease and how it affects my life.

Monday 25 October 2010

Who chose the name Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I can't say it, I am so sick of saying those dreadful words!!!  There is nothing glamorous or even easy about saying Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Not only is the word 'rheumatoid' just so bizarre as far as language goes, it sounds like it something from an other planet!  Then there is 'arthritis' which conjures up images of old people with walking frames and blankets over their shoulders.  So just incase you thought the word rheumatoid wasn't that bad, the word arthritis certainly puts the boot in! AND it's hard to type aswell!



'I have Rheumatoid Arthritis' or 'I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis' or I am a Rheumatoid Arthritis patient'.  I have lost count of the times I have said those phrases over the past few years and each time I have uttered those words my stomach has churned with both embarrasment and humiliation.  I don't want to be ill, I don't want people to look at me and pity me or even worse thing I am making things out to be worse than they are because they can't see a plaster or a bandage.  I have come to loathe the word so much especially when you have to explain to people that you are not as physically able as most people and therefore could they make allowances.  Also it's a constant reminder that you are ill, physically disabled, not like everyone else and frankly I could do without being reminded!!!!



I have now stopped saying Rheumatoid Arthritis and will now say something like 'oh I have bad knees' or have joint problems.  I don't want people to pity me, yes I am young, yes most people get arthritis when they are old and yes it's a shame it happened but this is my life and I have to live with this diagnosis.  I want as normal a life as possible, I want to show people that I can still do most things and still live a normal life.

3 comments:

  1. Tell me about it, and when you tell people they say oh have a arthritic knee. Then you have to explain its totally different. Ive just had a cancer scare because my lung keeps filling with blood. Found out today its actually RA:-( My symptoms started xmas day when i was 28:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jen my heart goes out to you i know exactly how you feel i have had poor health for 30 years because i was wrongly diagnosed of having epilepsy when i was 20 and was having between 20 to 40 fits most days for 12 years and taking 15 antconvulsants a day which i took in good faith then in 1990 i was told i hadnt got epilepsy it had been the drugs i fought a claim for 9 years but didnt get anywhere there is a chance the drugs caused the lupus , which is a rheumatoid arthriits so i can relate how you feel because people dont understand im going to write a book but i just dont know how to go about it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, thanks for your comments, sorry to hear about your health. Please keep reading and posting x

    ReplyDelete

My Rheumatoid Arthritis Diary